Frequently Asked Questions

See our Student Handbook

Q. How many applications do you receive, and how many students are selected?

A. We received about 150 applications for the ADN program each semester. We accept 60 students each academic year. 30 in the Spring and 30 in the Fall. All applications are online.  

Q. Do you keep a waiting list?

A. No. 

Q. What are the Yuba College's NCLEX pass rates?

A. That information can be found on the following independent websites:

Q. English 1A is required to get into the program. If I have a better grade in English 1B or 1C, may I use that GPA to calculate my merit-based admission score?

A. Yes. When calculating a GPA for selected courses, the grade a student achieves in the highest of the three English composition courses (or equivalents) will be used.

Q.  Is there a way I can ensure getting into Nursing 26 and Nursing 36 at Yuba College?

A.  There is no guarantee of getting into either of these two courses. However, you do have priority registration if you are a continuing student at Yuba College.  

Q. Can I take Pharmacology (Nurs 26) and Pathophysiology (Nurs 36) at a different college?

A. Yes.  However, the course must be approved as content equivalent. Meet with a Yuba College counselor to review the course. 

Q. I have one pre-requisite course left to take. Can I still apply to the program?

A. No.  All prerequisite courses must be completed with grades posted before you can apply to the program. 

Q. I attended several colleges. Do you need all the transcripts or just those where I took pre-requisites? How do I get them to you?

A. You must submit official transcripts from all colleges attended in the completion of your pre-requisite courses and all colleges referenced in your application. All official transcripts must be submitted to the Yuba College Admission and Records. Official transcripts sent directly to the nursing department are not accepted. Upper division equivalency questions should be directed to Yuba College's Counseling Department. Academic counselors are available by appointment at (530) 634-7766.

Q. I took my pre-requisites at another college and the Transcript Office is asking for a course description, course outline, or syllabus to determine content equivalency for those courses. How do I obtain this information?

A. Official college course descriptions may be obtained by photocopying the college catalog for the year and semester in which the course was completed. Official college catalogs with course descriptions may also be available online through the institution’s website. Additionally, a course outline, syllabus, or list of course objectives can usually be obtained by contacting the course instructor.

Q. Why Math 52 is required. Can you explain this to me?

A. All academic related (prerequisite and/or degree requirement) questions should be directed to Yuba College's Counseling Department. Academic counselors are available by appointment at (530) 634-7766.

Q. I took my Anatomy and Physiology at a school where the courses were combined for two semesters. At Yuba College, they are offered separately. Am I still eligible to apply?

A. Records and Transcript Office will determine whether the two semesters of combined Anatomy and Physiology (with lab) coursework completed is truly content equivalent to our two semesters of separate coursework. Typically, the 1st section of the combined class counts toward Anatomy; the second section typically counts towards Physiology. A student petition may be required to determine eligibility.

Q. Does your program require that the required science prerequisite courses be completed within the last 10 years?

A. No. There is no recency requirement. 

Q.  Can I take a prerequisite science course online? 

A.  No.  Online labs are not able to meet content equivalencies for science courses.  

Q. Can I send in an application now? 

A. Applications are accepted only during application periods.  

Q. Is it okay if I turn my application in late?  

A. No. 

Q.  If I get accepted into the program can I defer my admission for a later time?

A.  The only accepted deferral for admission accepted in the Yuba College Nursing Program is for military service. 
Q. I was not accepted into the nursing program. Will my application materials be returned to me?

A. No. 

Q. Can I submit a letter of recommendation for me to get into the nursing program. 

A. No. Our method of selection does not require letters of recommendation and will not be considered.

Q. I have work experience in the health field. Will this increase my chances of being admitted?

A. Yes. In some work areas, you could be granted points for your work experience. Your experience will benefit you on a personal level, however it may or may not be considered applicable to the nursing program.

Q. Can I get my CNA while in the nursing program? 

A. If you were or are presently enrolled in the Registered Nurse (RN), or Psychiatric Technician (PT) program, you must submit an official, sealed transcript of training (students may substitute the official transcript with a sealed school letter on official school letterhead listing equivalent training in the Fundamentals of Nursing course. ​

Q. Do I need to be a resident of the District to apply to the nursing program?

A. Ni. All applications are considered for admission.

Q. Do you have a part-time or evening program? 

​A. No. Nursing courses are generally during the day, Monday through Thursday.  Clinical hours can extend beyond these hours and may include Fridays, evenings and weekends.

Q. How long does the Nursing Program take to complete?

A. It is a 4-semester program with summers off for the full RN program.  For the LVN to RN program it is two semesters.  

Q. Will a Quantiferon gold test be accepted for TB? 

​A. Quantiferon gold test with a negative result within the last 12 months would be accepted to meet the TB requirement. However, be advised that the Quantiferon gold test must be completed annually (done before the 12th month or a two-step TB will be required)

Q. How long are my positive titers good for?

​A. 10 years. The documentation of blood serum positive antibody titers high enough for immunity are accepted up to 10 years from the result date.

Q. How long does it take to complete the program from starting the prerequisites and general education courses to finishing the nursing program?

A. It could take from three and a half years to six years (or more) depending on how quickly you progress through the prerequisite and general education courses.

Q. Can I work while I am in the program?

A. There is no restriction against working while enrolled in the Nursing Program. We strongly encourage students to be a full-time student and not work if possible. Work more than 16 hours a week as it may interfere with your success in the nursing program. There are many hours per week of reading/studying in addition to course and clinical hours.  You will not be permitted to leave early or arrive late to clinical or class because of your job. There are clinical attendance requirements that are strictly adhered to.

Q. How much will the program cost?

A. The approximate cost of the 2-year program is $6,000.00. This includes tuition fees, books, parking, uniforms, shoes, medical examinations, CPR certification, and background check/drug screen clearance. The advanced-standing student (LVN to RN student) can expect to spend approximately $3000.00.

Q. Do I have to have a background check and drug screen?

A. Yes. Clinical sites require nursing students to have a background check and drug screen.   

Q. Do you offer transportation to the clinical sites?

A. No. Transportation and lodging are the responsibility of the student.  You will need dependable transportation throughout the nursing program and should figure transportation and lodging costs into your financial planning for nursing school.

Q. Can I apply to the Nursing Program if I have a criminal/conviction history?   

A. Yes. Students must complete a background check upon entry to the program and a fingerprinting upon application for licensure at the end of the program.

1. Initial Background Check – this is an employment level background check and is required by our clinical partners for entry into medical facilities. Students with a criminal background may not be allowed to attend a clinical facility. If a student is not allowed into a facility, he/she will not be able to meet the requirements of the Nursing Program and will be ineligible for enrollment.

2. Fingerprinting for Licensure Application – In accordance with the California Board of Registered Nursing, a person convicted of any offense other than a minor traffic violation may not qualify to be licensed as a nurse. All convictions must be reported at the time of application. Please see the BRN website for more information:

Q. I am in your LVN to RN Career Mobility Program can I use the classes I am taking in the nursing program as CEU's for my LVN license?

A. Typically- the nursing courses in the program (N57,N21,N3,N4A,N4B) do not count, however, other college level courses will (1 unit (college) = 15 hours CEU's


Site Map | Printable View | © 2008 - 2019 Yuba College | Yuba College Web Site | Site Admin |